Key Stage 3 Design & Technology
A programme has been designed so that all pupils follow a common foundation course. Design and Technology is compulsory in the lower school and pupils can later opt to follow take the subject at GCSE and A-Level. The lower school framework is based on the National Curriculum and certain GCSE criteria. The emphasis is to provide all pupils with a course which offers a rich experience and develops capability in all areas of study.
During the year, students rotate through three modules and have four fifty-minute periods per fortnight in Year 7 and three fifty-minute periods per fortnight in Year 8. During these periods they will gain knowledge and experiences of a range of Design and Technology areas and after a 12 week programme of study, pupils rotate through the following assessment projects:
- STEM Electronics, systems and programming
- Graphic Design and Food Food, graphics and smart materials
- Resistant Materials Materials and Processes
- Mechanical Engineering Mechanisms
- Graphic Design and Food Cultural foods, graphics and textiles
- STEM Programmable components and the design process
Knowledge and Understanding:
Designing: (including research and analysis, ideas, sketching, model making, teamwork, presentation and use of ICT).
- Making: (including use of tools and machinery, electronic processes, programmable components, material construction techniques, technical drawing, planning).
- Theoretical Knowledge: (including, systems control / electronics, material technologies, industrial practices).
This is set in line with school policy, homework is set once per fortnight. It may be a follow up topic covered in the lesson, revision for a test or in preparation for the following lesson.
Equipment and Design and Technology Folder
Pupils are expected to purchase the following equipment in preparation for the years study programme and ensure it is brought to each lesson. Most of the equipment can be purchased from high street stationers or larger supermarkets. Under Health & Safety Guideline all pupils are expected to wear an apron which can be purchased from school outfitters.
- A4 Ring Binder Folder
- A4 Clear Plastic Sleeves (Approx 40)
- A4 Section Dividers (4)
- HB Pencil
- Colouring Pencils
- Pritt Stick
- Small pair of scissors
- Black fine liner pen
- 30cm ruler