St. Olave’s Stage 1 Entrance Test (SET) for Year 7 Entry in September 2020: Friday, 20 September 2019
The SET will last one hour and will comprise multiple choice questions in English, Logic (both Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning) and Mathematics.
Please ensure that you follow the instructions below:
- Access to the School will be via the Park Avenue pedestrian gates only. There will be no car parking available on the School grounds and no access for vehicles. Please do not attempt to enter the School from Goddington Lane as you will be redirected to the access point in Park Avenue. If you are travelling by car, you are strongly advised to park well away from the School as there will be parking restrictions in Park Avenue and Goddington Lane. When parking, we would ask you to be courteous to our neighbours and park responsibly.
- Candidates must arrive no later than their allocated time as we cannot guarantee that late arrivals will be admitted to the SET.
- Please ensure that you and your son are dressed appropriately for the weather conditions on the day of the SET as you will be asked to remain outside in a designated area on the field until your son’s colour group is called to its examination room.
- Please print out the candidate instructions email and make sure your son has it with him. The candidate will need to bring 2 HB pencils and an eraser in a clear pencil case or clear bag. Mobile telephones, wristwatches, dictionaries and calculators are not allowed in the Test.
- Answers to the SET questions must be entered in HB pencil on the Answer Sheet provided. Please refer to the following link for sample questions for the SET and information regarding the completion of the Answer Sheet: www.saintolaves.net/applicationprocedureyear7
- If you have not already supplied details of any special educational needs and disabilities, known medical needs or other circumstances which may require positive action on the day of the Test, they must be emailed to email@example.com or delivered to the School without delay. Please also supply your son’s Care Plan, if appropriate. Please see the following link for further information: http://www.saintolaves.net/uploads/ckeditor/attachments/3597/SEND_Arrangements_for_Year_7_Entry_September_2020.pdf
- If your son is unwell on the day of the Test, to such an extent that you feel his results will be affected, you should not let him sit the Test as no allowance can be made for under-performance. You must inform the School no later than the day of the Test, either by email or telephone (01689 820101). Please note that a doctor’s certificate will be required to confirm illness as the reason for non-attendance at the SET. Subject to receiving appropriate documentary evidence, an alternative day will be offered.
- Parents/carers will not be allowed to enter the school buildings for any reason. In the case of a genuine emergency, please speak to member of staff outside or go to the School’s Reception under the Chapel. Please note that there are no facilities for parents/carers to wait while their son is taking the Test.
- Please collect your son promptly at the time given on his Candidate Instruction Sheet. You will be asked to remain in a designated area on the field until your son’s group arrives at the ‘Collection Point’ at which point you will be called forward. Please do approach the Collection Point until you are instructed to as this will impede the view for those collecting from other colour groups.
- Due to the number of candidates, we are unable to reallocate any child to a different exam group or session.
- The outcome of St. Olave’s SET will be sent to parents/carers prior to the closing date for submission of your online application to your Local Authority. We aim to provide this information by mid-October. We will advise you whether or not your son has achieved the required standard to sit our Stage 2 Entrance Test. Those passing the SET will be invited to the Stage 2 Entrance Test and details will be enclosed. Please note that this result will not equate to a guarantee of a selective place at St Olave’s.
Thank you in advance for your co-operation in helping to make the day run as smoothly as possible for all concerned.